Friday, September 4, 2009

Unfailing God + Yahweh



Though my eyes may fail me
I will follow after You
Though You promise seems forsaken
I’ll remember the world’s in Your hands
You’ll find me singing


You are unfailing God
Your love’s unending
And Your word is eternal
Firm in the heavens its stands

Though sorrow’s my condition
And pain holds back no blow
Though this be my darkest hour
Your lamp is leading me home
You’ll find me singing

Eyes can’t see but I feel You near
I know You’re working through my tears
I trust You Lord I trust You for You never walk away

Yahweh


Jon Egan started this song, and it was wonderfully poetic, but not finished. We began working together on it because we both loved this idea of speaking the unspeakable name of God. “Yahweh” is the English derivative of “"YHWH,” which was used for the holiest name of God. “Adonai” was the most common name used in its place. However, because of the cross, Christ has become our mediator, our advocate and our intercessor. What was once unspeakable and unreachable has become the name on our lips and the arms that have pulled us close. We must always revere Him in His holiness, but now, through Christ, we have also received His invitation to intimacy.
During the last two years at New Life Church we have had to cling to both the “bigness” and “nearness” of God. His “imminence” as well as His “transcendence” have been so important to us as we have traversed the valley of disappointment and tragedy. “Yahweh” is a song that emphasizes God's immutability and eternal quality. “Yahweh” literally means that He is the Redeemer of all things by His own strength and power. He is the ancient One who is all-sufficient. He is the creator and sustainer of all things. We can trust Him because He is with us from our first cry to our dying breath. We can trust Him because He has always been and always will be the faithful One who is with us! He is Yahweh.

No comments: